CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, January 17, 2011

One year...

My little boy is ONE YEARS OLD. I don’t even know where to begin…

Over a year ago after Lincoln was diagnosed with a heart defect, I felt strange having baby showers and getting things I didn’t know if I would use. I didn’t want to put up a crib or get his room ready in case we didn’t use it. When people who where ignorant of his diagnosis would ask ‘are you excited?’ I never knew what to answer. I literally did not know if I would bring a baby home from the hospital, let alone be celebrating his one year birthday. But he made it! He is now one years old. He is strong, smart, and healthy and I didn’t know that I could love an individual as much as I love him! Here is his year in review…

January 16, 2010: Lincoln was born and passed through the window into the NICU.

He was then transported to Primary Children's Medical center ICU and we were able to go visit and hold him for the first time.

January 18, 2010: Lincoln’s first Catheter surgery to open his pulmonary valve. The surgery was successful but he acquired a blood clot that had to be watched carefully and treated with medication.

For the next 2 weeks Link went on and off of Prostaglandin to see if he needed the BT Shunt…

February 2: BT Shunt

February 7: Take Lincoln HOME!

Thursday April 25- Friday April 26: Lincoln’s LONG Dr.’s apt- He went in to get an upper GI done for acid reflux and Russ got his oxygen stats checked and they were in the 50's so they put oxygen on him and he stayed in the PICU over night. He was a completely different baby with oxygen and we were happy to take it home with us.

April 30th: 2nd Heart Catheter Surgery to figure out why Lincoln's oxygen stats were too low and if he needed the Glenn at that time. Found that with oxygen, he would be fine to wait.

August 2: 3rd Heart Catheter Surgery- to prepare for the Glenn Surgery

September 14: Glenn Surgery: This was a miracle surgery! I remember blogging about how I didn't think Link needed this surgery because he was so energetic and happy. But I was amazed at how everything has worked better since this surgery. He has been a better eater, has digested everything better, has been more energetic and been even happier than he was before the surgery.

September 29: Goodbye Oxygen!!

January 2011
I've had a lot of mixed feelings at Lincoln's birthday but the overriding feeling that I've felt is GRATITUDE. I am so grateful for the doctors, nurses, and surgeons that have worked with Lincoln. I am grateful for the medical advances that have made his life possible. I am grateful for the many many prayers that have been offered in Lincoln's behalf. I am grateful for all the prayers that Heavenly Father has answered. I am grateful for Russ and the support and love that he has provided to Lincoln and to me throughout Link's life. But most of all, I am grateful for Lincoln. I am grateful that I was able to bring my baby home from the hospital. I am grateful that I have been able to continue to bring him home after all his hospital stays. I am grateful that I have the opportunity to see his smiling face every morning. I am grateful that he is a healthy busy boy that I get to try to keep up with everyday. I am grateful for how strong he is and for all that he has taught me this past year. Happy Birthday Lincoln!

7 comments:

Dani said...

Oh my goodness, he looks like a little grownup in that last picture!! He is so big!! And so dang cute! His first year has been CRAZY. Hopefully his second year can be boring compared to that first year :) So glad he is doing well. Happy Birthday Link!

Mallory Hanna said...

Your story is beautiful, very happy for your family. What a wonderful celebration for your baby boy.

t.m. said...

Oh what a big boy!! I am so glad he has such a wonderful Mom to get him through the hard times. Happy Birthday Link!

Unknown said...

he has gotten so big! i need to see him again, soon! i thought about him on sunday and what a miracle he is. hope you're doing well. we need to get together sometime soon.
ps i think he totally looks like a beck! i think he looks like your wonderful dad.

Rob and Mare said...

Oh Whit, he is so handsome. I want to attack those cheeks!=)
Happy Birthday little Link!

Becca said...

Congrats to the whole family for making it through the first year. We love little Link and his adorable smile.
ps- Joel made some joke tonight at Russ's expense and laughed at himself. Too bad Russ wasn't there- our kids didn't get the joke.

tutus n bowties said...

What an amazing journey your family has been on. You are all such strong people especially your little baby! Glad to see things are going so well.