CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, January 24, 2013

10 Must-Read LDS Talks

  

A couple months ago, I came across the post “8 LDS Talks that Changed my Life” through Pinterest. Over the past two months I’ve read or listened to, re-read or re-listened to the talks on her list and the talks provided by commenters. I’ve been impressed and edified by the inspiring messages of LDS leaders. At the end of her post she asked, “which talks would top your list?” I’ve thought a lot about that question and as I have read/listened to the favorite talks of others I’ve also read/listened to favorite talks of my own and have compiled a list of talks that really mean something to me.

“An High Priest of Good Things to Come”

By Jeffery R Holland
October 1999

Favorite Quote: “Some blessings come soon, some come late, and some don’t come until heaven; but for those who embrace the gospel of Jesus Christ, they come.”

Read it HERE.




“His Grace is Sufficient”

By Brad Wilcox
BYU speeches July 2011

Favorite Quote: “Jesus doesn’t make up the difference. Jesus makes all the difference. Grace is not about filling gaps. It is about filling us.”

Read it HERE.



“But For a Small Moment”

By Neal A Maxwell
BYU Speeches Sept 1974

Favorite Quote: “God knows even now what the future holds for each of us…The future “you” is before him now. He knows what it is he wishes to bring to pass in your life. He knows the kind of remodeling in your life and in mine that he wishes to achieve.”

Read it HERE.


“You Matter to Him”

By Dieter F Uchtdorf
October 2011

Favorite Quote: “God sees you not only as a mortal being on a small planet who lives for a brief season- He sees you as His child. He sees you as the being you are capable and designed to become. He wants you to know that you matter to Him.”

Read it HERE.



“Happiness, Your Heritage”

By Dieter F Uchtdorf
October 2008

Favorite Quote: “In the end, the number of prayers we say may contribute to our happiness, but the number of prayers we answer may be of even greater importance. Let us open our eyes and see the heavy hearts, notice the loneliness and despair; let us feel the silent prayers of others around us, and let us be an instrument in the hands of the lord to answer those prayers.”

Read it HERE.



“Safety For the Soul”

By Jeffery R Holland
October 2009

Favorite Quote:I ask that my testimony of the Book of Mormon and all that it implies, given today under my own oath and office, be recorded by men on earth and angels in heaven. I hope I have a few years left in my “last days,” but whether I do or do not, I want it absolutely clear when I stand before the judgment bar of God that I declared to the world, in the most straightforward language I could summon, that the Book of Mormon is true, that it came forth the way Joseph said it came forth and was given to bring happiness and hope to the faithful in the travail of the latter days.”

Read it HERE.



“Attempting the Impossible”

By Jorge F Zeballos
October 2009

Favorite Quote: “The Lord does not expect that we do what we cannot achieve. The command to become perfect, as He is, encourages us to achieve the best of ourselves, to discover and develop the talents and attributes with which we are blessed by a loving Eternal Father, who invites us to realize our potential as children of God.”

(I recommend reading this talk. Brother Zeballos has a strong accent and reading the talk allowed me to easier understand and appreciate the beauty of his message.)

Read it HERE.



“Finding Joy in the Journey”

By Thomas S Monson
October 2008

Favorite Quote: “I believe that among the greatest lessons we are to learn in this short sojourn upon the earth are lessons that help us distinguish between what is important and what is not. I plead with you not to let those most important things pass you by as you plan for that illusive and nonexistent future when you will have time to do all that you want to do. Instead, find joy in the journey—now.”

Read it HERE.



“The Infinite Power of Hope”

By Dieter F Uchtdorf
October 2008

Favorite Quote: "The brighter our hope, the greater our faith. The stronger our hope, the purer our charity."

Read it HERE.

 


“A Voice of Warning”

By Henry B Eyring
October 1998

Favorite Quote: “At some moment in the world to come, everyone you will ever meet will know what you know now…And they will know what you knew. And they will remember whether you offered them what someone had offered you.”

Read it HERE.




And now I have to ask, which talks would top your list?


4 comments:

The Pollard Family said...

I love this post Whit! I have a few favorites that I read and reread as well:
The Abundant life-Joseph B Wirthlin
Come What May and Love it-Joseph B Wirthlin
The Women of God-Neal A Maxwell

I have a few others but I'd have to look them up.. Check these out when you get a second. Hope things are going well:)

Kristen said...

my favorite is that 3 of them are President Uchtdorf!

Kristin said...

Awesome post, thanks for sharing. And congrats on the twins. We are excited for you!

Ashley Ziegler said...

Elder Holland is the man!